When you own multiple properties, it can be challenging to keep up with the myriad of jobs that need to be done. Whether it is repairing the plumbing, cutting the grass, or replacing a comfort system, the list of jobs that need to be done can be quite long. In fact, sometimes, it can seem as though you don’t own the properties but that they own you.
Sure, you can write into the contract that the renters are responsible for basic maintenance such as cutting the lawn or maintaining the sidewalks, but at the end of the day, you are still left with the responsibilities like plumbing, electrical, cable, tree removal and other entities that comprise ownership. And, unless you have determined a way to juggle all these balls successfully and unfailingly, there are going to be times when projects fail to get done.
However, there are options for making building management and property maintenance. You can appoint people on the site to help with the various projects, sell the properties and let someone else deal with them, or you can hire a company to help you keep all the balls in the air. For many, the preferred option is to call in reinforcements.
These property maintenance teams can help with everything from Builders St John’s actually doing the various jobs to making the calls for the repair people to come do the work. This way, the work gets done and you suddenly have more time in your day for relaxing. The property maintenance company will handle as much or as little of the busy work, so you don’t have to.
But what should you look for when choosing a property maintenance company? After all, you don’t want to choose just anyone to help you with your investments. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
· Find out how long the company has been doing property management and what their standing is with the BBB.
· Ask for a list of their current clients. Follow up by calling these clients and see what they have to say.
· Once you have selected a company, be very specific about what you need them to do.
· As with anything, be sure to read the entire contract and question anything that does not match what was agreed on in the discussion process.
· Let renters know about the change in procedure/ who to contact first when there is a problem.
Choosing a property maintenance company means that you have more time – not less! The company will be there to handle the myriad of calls or concerns that arise, and can report them to you so you can make a decision. Don’t stay stressed out about keeping the balls in motion – let someone else take over so you can have more time for pleasure.